1. Open System Preferences. Icon can be found in the dock:
2. Click on "Printers and Scanners" found in the system preferences:
3. Check status of printer that is in question. The image below is a screen representation of what you are looking for. If you are given a "green, idle" status then everything is working properly. If you are given something like a "red, out of toner" message then you know there is a problem. For a paused printer, it will show a "yellow/orange" status with the message "Paused".
4. Highlight the correct printer that needs to be fixed. In the example, you can see that I have selected "Cent 5th Grade Lab".
5. Click the "Open Print Queue" button:
6. In the next window, click the "Resume" button
7. You will also need to make sure that your clear out any old print jobs. This is done in the same window shown in step 6.
8. Restarting the actual printer itself by powering off/on can help establish a new connection. Which may be needed in some instances.