Setup instructions for recording:
Channel 1: Shure SM58 vocal mic (for soloists)
Channel 5-6: Ipod or computer (3.5mm jack)
Channel 7-8: playback from CD Player (RCA jacks)
Monitor Out: feeds channel 3-4 on Berhinger mixer
Speakers L/R (controlled by master level knob): Feed Yamaha Speakers
Channel 1: Left Shure SM81 Mic
Channel 2: Right Shure SM81 Mic
Channel 3-4: Monitor output from Yamaha Mixer (allows solo mic and Ipod accompaniment to be recorded directly)
Main Out: Feeds to the Marantz CD recorder Analog inputs (Main Mix knob on Berhinger controls the level being sent to the recorder)
How to Record:
1. Power on Marantz and Behringer. Yamaha mixer is only needed if accomniament or soloists need to be amplified or recorded directly to disc. The Behringer does not have a power switch, just plug it in.
2. Make sure that Shure SM81s are plugged into inputs 1-2 on the Behringer.
3. Turn on Phantom power (+48 volts that powers condenser microphones)
- DO NOT UNPLUG OR PLUG IN MICROHPHONES UNLESS PHANTOM POWER IS OFF. IT CAN DAMAGE THE MICROPHONES.
-The SM81s also have switches on the microphones that must be turned on in order for the mic to output a signal.
4. Insert a blank CD into the Marantz
5. It should be set by default, but the Input should be set to Analog (it will display ANALOG to the right of the time display)
6. Press record to make a new track and initialize record mode.
- The input signal can be monitored by inserting Headphones with a ¼” plug into the Marantz headphone jack. This will play exactly what is being recorded to the disc. The balance between the SM81s and the Signal coming from The Yamaha mixer can be controlled with the Level knobs on the bottom of each channel on the Behringer mixer.
- The recording level (shown on the meter on the CD recorder) should be kept at around 4. If the Meter is going above 0 into the red, then you may need to turn down the Main Mix Knob on the Behringer Mixer.
7. Press Play to start recording (The time will start counting up)
8. Press Stop to stop a take
9. Press Record to create additional tracks
10. When finished, press the Finalize button.
- Disp will read FINALIZE?
11. Press The Multi Jog wheel to confirm
12. Press Multi Jog once more to start finalizing
13. Turn off phantom power on Berhinger Mixer and wait for the red +48V light to go dim before unplugging microphones.
The CD can be played back through a pair of headphones connected to the CD player OR through channel 7-8 on the Yamaha Mixer. (This will play through the yamaha speakers)
After playing back, Mute Channel 7-8 on the Yamaha Mixer BEFORE pressing the record button again on the Marantz.
PRESSING RECORD ON THE MARANTZ WITH CHANNEL 7-8 TURNED UP WILL RESULT IN A FEEDBACK LOOP THAT COULD DAMAGE THE SPEAKERS OR LISTENER’S EARS.