Step 1: Log into Gmail account
A. Make sure you are in Gmail and not Google Drive.
Step 2: Creating Labels
A. Click on the “Settings” icon. It should look like the following:
- The following menu will show:
- Click on “Settings”
B. On the settings page (image below) click on “Labels.”
C. Scroll down to find “Create New Label” button
- Click on this button
- It will be in the 3rd section titled “Labels”
D. For this example we will create a label called “Classifieds”
- Enter text into empty textbox
- Click “Create” button
E. Other Examples - Create a label for building News
- “Jefferson”, “Lincoln”, “Mckinley”, “Central”, “Shepherd”
- If done properly, you should now see a label on the left hand side of your Gmail inbox.
- This will allow one to connect a filter to a label.
- You can also apply color coding to individual labels as seen to the right.
Step 3: Creating Filters
A. Go back to the “Settings” page. If you do not remember where to find the “Settings” refer back to Step 2: Creating Labels section A.
B. Click on “Filters” in the settings page. Refer back to Step 2: Creating Labels section B to find an image of the settings page.
C. Scroll to the bottom of the Filters section and click on “Create New Filter”
- The following window will appear as a drop-down window from the Google search bar. This is where you will begin creating a filter.
- Enter the criteria for specific fields you want to filter out. In this instance, we are creating a filter for classifieds and/or building news.
Enter email@example.com into the “TO” subject line textbox or
- firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, or firstname.lastname@example.org for building news.
Typically you would enter this in the “From” subject line, but since the email is originating from any sender in the district and getting “SENT TO” classifieds or building news it must be done this way.
Click on “Create Filter with this Search”:
- The next step is to select the features to tell this filter what we want it to do.
Check the following checkboxes (See Image Below):
- Skip the Inbox (Archive it)
ONE IMPORTANT NOTE is once you begin filtering out particular messages they will no longer show up in your inbox, and begin to show up in the category that has been created. In this instance, classifieds or your particular building news.
- Apply the label:
Need to select the label here too: Classifieds or one of the five building news labels
- Never send it to Spam
- Never mark it as Important
- Click “Create Filter” button to apply your filter